SERIOUSLY DO NOT CONTINUE; MAJOR SPOILERS
Brother Zachariah in City of Lost Souls:
- "Alec shook his head, dropping his hands. ‘No. If it’s any consolation, there were a lot of people at the meeting speaking out angrily on behalf of keeping the search for Jace up at full strength. Magnus, obviously, Luke, Consul Penhallow, even Brother Zachariah.’"
- “Unexpected events call for unextpectd measures. rother Zachariah’s voice floated out, touching the inside of Clary’s head; she knew from the expressions on the faces of the others that they could hear him too.I wll say nothing to the Clave or Council of anything that transpires tonight. If the chance comes before me to save the last of the Herondale bloodline, I consider that of higher importance than the fealty I render the Clave.”
- [to Maryse] “Brother Enoch? He is senior to me, but I thought perhaps that your call might have something to do with the disappearance of your adoptive son. I have a particular interest in his well-being.”
- "I was once a Shadowhunter like you. I lived like you do. And like you, there were those I loved enough to put their welfar before anything else— any oath, any debt.
'Did you…' Maryse hesitated. 'Did you ever have children?'
No. No children.
Don’t be. And try not to let your fear for Jace devour you. He is a Herondale, and they are survivors.”
- “‘Jonathan’ is a fine old Shadowhunter name, the first of names. The Herondales have always kept names in the family—
'He wasn't named by a Herondale,' Clary pointed out. 'Though he has a dagger of his father's. It says S.W.H. on the blade.'
Stephen William Herondale.
Clary took another step closer toward the doors, and toward Zachariah. ‘You know a lot about the Herondales,’ she said. ‘And of all the Silent Brothers, you seem the most human. Most of them never show any emotion. They’re like statues. But you seem to feel things. You remember your life.’
Being a Silent Brother is life, Clary Fray. But if you mean I remember my life before the Brotherhood, I do.
Clary took a deep breath. ‘Were you ever in love? Before the Brotherhood? Was there ever anyone you would have died for?’
There was a long silence. Then:
Two people,said Brother Zachariah.There are memories that time does not erase, Clarissa. Ask your friend Magnus Bane, if you do not believe me. Forever does not make loss forgettable, only bearable.”